Thursday, January 20, 2011

Somethings Changed

So after my previous post updating on my training status I was complaining that I wasn't able to train because of Asthma and it was too cold and I only managed a 4k run.


See here - Bad Start To The New Year.


Well. How things have changed now. I managed to start putting in consistent and good 8k runs. Then, last Saturday, I got up early in the hope of being able to go for a long run on my local streets and managed to knock out a half marathon in 2hrs 7mins. The thing is, I felt great for the whole run too and even when I stopped I felt I could run more, but I'd run out of time and had other things to do that day. I was really pleased with my run and not only that, but my time too. I set off intending to run slowly but for a long duration (1.5 to 2hrs) and once I was out running and warmed up, I just didn't want to stop and I didn't care about the pace and as it turns out the pace wasn't too bad at all, in fact, just the pace I need to maintain to do the marathon in around the 5hr mark.


Sunday was a rest day but I was also pleased here too as I didn't feel stiff nor did I ache. Monday I followed up with my usual 8k run but get this. Not only did I feel great running it, even in the 3 - 4c temp with a bitter wind, but my pace was naturally quick (for me) and it didn't feel like I was trying whilst I was literally flying round my 8k loop. I felt really light on my feet and just kept a consistent pace knocking off 8.25k in well under 48 minutes. Almost 4 minutes off my previous best time for that course!


Tuesday I couldn't stop myself and went out for a run after work and ended up doing 1.5 times my usual 8k loop, again I just didn't want to stop and felt like 8k wasn't long enough. I eventually knocked off 12k in 1 hour and 15 minutes. Once again, well inside the pace I'm looking for and it didn't feel like I was trying.


Yesterday I forced myself to take a rest day and all day at work I felt sad or depressed that I wouldn't be heading out for a run that night. Very odd, never felt sad about not heading out for a run before. This evening I was late home from the office and once again it was cold and windy outside and I really wasn't sure I was going to go out for a run. But within 5 minutes of being home I'd donned the running kit and was tightening the laces to my running shoes and went out for a 9.2k run in 55 minutes. I'm not even consciously thinking about my pace any more and I'm just running for the fun of it and really enjoying it. By the time I'm warmed up and 5k into the run, I don't want to stop. It always used to be that by 5k's I was counting off the meters before I could finish. I'm now actively thinking of ways to extend the run.


I also keep forgetting to use my inhaler and whilst I'm not totally sure it won't come back sometime, I haven't had a repeat of the Asthma episode at the start of the year. I've also stopped running with music. It doesn't bother me anymore when I forget to carry the iPod. I no longer need the music for the motivation.


So what is going on here? Something has most definitely changed. I'm not sure what it is but I hope it doesn't change back. Well, not until I've run the marathon that is ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment