Monday, January 31, 2011

Born To Run

So with a little under a month left before the Tokyo Marathon 2011 the training has been going well. 135km's run in the month of January with a longest single run of 26km's. Next Saturday I hope to put in another long run, this time hoping for 30k's +. I'm now feeling much more confident about being able to finish the marathon. All indications from my training indicate I should be able to break the 5hr mark which is what I would be happy with. More importantly though, I'm enjoying the running and want to continue even after the marathon is done.


A lot of my inspiration has come lately from a book that I have been reading called Born To Run by Christopher McDougall. I really can't recommend it highly enough, even for non-runners. The characters in this book are all true but slightly crazy if not barking mad at times. The books a hoot to read and a real page turner. Here's a little overview courtesy of the Author himself:





You can buy the book from Amazon.com here. TIP: I bought the Kindle edition which is cheaper


Right so all that leaves me now is to get out there training in my final push to February 27th. Not long now and I actually find myself looking forward to it.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I'd not heard of Christopher Mcdougall, but reading what you wrote and then an interview with him online, I've just ordered it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joseph,

    You will not regret it. It's a cracking read and I couldn't put it down. Had me in stitches, laughing out loud at times and also got me itching to go out running. I want to try those Vibram Five Fingers now but can't find anywhere to buy them in Japan, Amazon never seem to have my size and the Vibram website doesn't ship to Japan!

    Cheers,
    James.

    ReplyDelete