Monday, January 10, 2011

Bad Start To The Year

So after returning from 2 weeks of drinking my fill and eating more than my fair share over in the UK during the festive period I thought I would get out last Thursday (6th Jan) and stretch the ol' legs with a "short" 8k run. However, things didn't quite go to plan. With an ambient temperature of 2 or 3c and a bitterly cold wind it was within less than 1k that the onset of Asthma started and by 2k I was reduced to a whinging, whining wind bag sounding more like a deflating set of bag pipes than the true honed athlete I am. (OK so that bit about me being a true honed athlete maybe not quite true!) Not having my inhaler with me, I was forced to cut the run short and finish off with just a 4k run. Not the start to the New Year I wanted, nor the training regime I need to adhere to in order to prepare for the Tokyo Marathon. Note to self; run with inhaler in future.


Not all is lost however as this afternoon I managed to get out for another run. Again the temperature was around 2 or 3c and the same bitterly cold wind was blowing right through me. However, this time before setting off I had a quick "scrynse, blast, suck?" on the inhaler and this seemed to set my straight. 8k knocked off with relative ease and I felt really good the whole way round. Maybe all is not lost just yet.


So the plan this week is to run my standard 8k course Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday to build up the muscle pre xmas and New Years festivities and then Saturday head out for a longer run of approx. 15 or 20k. Next weeks schedule will have to be something similar but perhaps stepping the weekend run up to something over 20k and maybe a mid week run of somewhere between 10 and 15k. There is one small spanner in the works. This Friday is my companies annual party (shinnenkai / 新年会 in Japanese). As hard as it is going to be I'm going to have to lay off the booze if I'm going to get up early on Saturday morning and get the long run in.


Oh, did someone say there is only 48 days left to the Marathon?

4 comments:

  1. Mate, have you read 'Born to Run' by Christopher McDougal, If not buy it now it will inspire you on the run. I got it for Christmas and its helped to motivate me for a run despite the pissing rain, plus it talks a lot about barefoot running and injury prevention.
    Keep up the good work, remember pain is just weakness leaving the body!
    Toby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Toby,

    Thanks for the heads up but I'm already half way through this book and loving it. I think my next blog post will be on it. Watch this space.

    Cheers,
    James.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi James..stumbled upon ur blog because i was looking on how to register for Tokyo 2012...looks like lottery huh?

    Anyways, I used to have regular asthma attacks but since I started running, it slowly went off. I ran with my inhaler my first few races but not anymore(touch wood)and have completed halfs and so far 1 marathon in Singapore.

    U're doing a good job, all the best for Tokyo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Khadeeja. Yes, entry is via lottery although foreigners have a better chance of getting a place.

    I managed a 20k run on Saturday morning in about 2 or 3c temps again and forgot to take inhaler before hand but was fine throughout the run. Hopefully it was just a one off.

    ReplyDelete