Saturday, February 26, 2011

Last Minute Race Preps

Here we go then. The race is upon us; no turning back now. I've made it through all the training injury free and I've just about staved off a head cold that has been bothering me all week, I still have a blocked right ear which is more frustrating than anything else.


For anyone who wants to follow me then as mentioned previously I will try to tweet at various points from the Marathon. You can follow me on twitter @JamesHardcastle. You will also be able to follow my progress round the course on the day through the Tokyo Marathon's own website at http://p.tokyo42195.org/ and by entering my bib number, J38685. This will show you my progress as I pass through each 5k check point and my timing for each split.


So now that just leaves me some time this afternoon for last minute preps. Firstly, weather check. It's looking very good for tomorrow, maybe even, dare I say it, too warm! Weather check below courtesy of Yahoo Japan:
As you can see a low percentage chance of rain, 10% in the morning through to 30% by the evening, and a maximum day time temp of 16c and most likely sunny.


Next checks are to make sure all my electronic devices and gadgets are fully charged. 1.) iPhone, yep charged and ready to go and will top up over night once more. 2.) iPod shuffle, yep, fully charged and loaded with pumping tunes. 3.) Nike+ Sportsband for tracking my distance, pace and time all ready to go.


Finally my running gear and items I will need on the day. These consist of, and in no particular order:

  • Plasters: For any blisters or I hate to mention it but to prevent any onset of nipple rash. Far too painful for me to go into details about that now.
  • Jelly Babies: A vital piece of equipment these are. They are basically a pure sugar energy injection to the blood stream. Keep a bag of these bad boys in your pocket and snack on one of them every other kilometer or so to keep your blood sugar levels up.
  • Ibuprofen / Painkillers: Always handy to have just in case things become a bit too much. Ibuprofen is also an anti inflammatory drug so will help to stop any swelling should I injur something.
  • Cash: Vital this, don't want to carry my entire wallet so some notes and my foreign ID card should be enough.
  • iPod, iPhone and Nike+ Sportsband as already mentioned above.
  • Race bib and number: This needs to be pinned to my top and on display at all times I'm told.
  • Shoe chip: for the online time tracking and also to record my official time, assuming I finish.
  • Inhaler: Just in case the ghastly Asthma rears its ugly head and I need a quick puff to put it back in its box.
  • Ziplock bags: Even though it doesn't look like it is going to rain I will need to keep all of the above in waterproof ziplock bags to stop sweat getting through to them.
And that's about it, apart from getting a good nights sleep tonight and of course no alcohol! I have a friends wedding to attend this evening so will have to restrain myself from the bar but as for the buffet, well, I'm going to try and demolish that!

Wish me luck and my next update will hopefully be a post race report.

No comments:

Post a Comment